Saturday, April 23, 2011

A Tradition Continued

Each year growing up my parents and I would dye eggs at Easter at my grandmother's house. We always had so much fun and those are very, very special memories to me and my parents, especially since my amazing grandmother, Honey, passed away when I was a sophomore in high school. She was one fantastic grandmother and I spent most of my years at her house since both my parents worked full-time. She did everything, and I mean everything, for me. So, when I decided to dye Easter eggs with my family I wanted to make sure I recreated it all and made it special for Ella-Ann and Rane. As soon as I stirred the vinegar into the cups of dye the smell immediately brought me back to Honey's house. I can see the old coffee mugs lined up on her kitchen table that was lined with newspaper. The only difference this time around was that my Mom put me in very nice clothing, monogrammed and all, for the occasion and I knew my two kids couldn't stay clean so they wore old t-shirts! Dad, Honey and I would always eat the hard-boiled eggs afterwards but my Mom has always stuck her nose up at them! I couldn't believe Ella-Ann was so willing to try an egg after dying it! I figured Rane would love eating one, surprisingly he did not, but it was Ella-Ann who loved them! She even ate one for breakfast the next day!

Writing with the magic crayon. That was a hit with Ella-Ann! I orginially had the dye in coffee mugs too but quickly switched to plastic cups since Rane nearly turned over 3 mugs before we had even started! Maybe next year!



Pierson joined in on the fun but quickly got too tired!

With all the pretty eggs! Next year we will do 24! Note the wardrobe change. This is what she was wearing to play outside (a dress, of course) and we made her change into a t-shirt and shorts to do the eggs. As soon as we were done she had changed back into her dress, with her hair down, immediately!

Oh and before the dying of the Easter eggs the kids and I planted wildflowers while Spencer mowed the yard.

1 comment:

Janelle said...

Oh, EA and AK are so alike--gracious! Your comment about changing clothes back and forth to a dress. Same here! :)