Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Off to Grandpa & Mimi's House

Last Thursday the kids and I packed it up and drove to my parent's house. Rane, of course, was horrible in the car both to and from our house but it is never, ever a picnic to ride in a car with him so it was to be expected. We got there early afternoon so we had all day Thursday through Sunday to play, play, play....or at least they all played and I sat! My Dad had his annual weekend trip to St. Louis with a bunch of his friends and couldn't cancel so he left Friday at lunch but was back home by lunch on Sunday. Ella Ann missed him terribly, but we were crazy busy while he was gone. My Dad had the golf cart from the lake (Barkley Lake for my non-Kentucky readers) at home so Ella Ann was all about that! My poor Mom took her for a ride about 4 times a day all around the neighborhood. I got on a couple of times and held Rane so he got in on the action as well. Once my Dad got home on Sunday he got out the Rhino from the storage room and drove Ella Ann around in that too. She much preferred riding that since it goes pretty fast (seat belts are a must) and they went off roading (the yard). The golf cart was a kiddie ride compared to that! She loved all the excitement with the outdoor vehicles!

On Thursday and Friday we just ran errands and took it easy around the house. We went to dinner Friday night and Rane was not happy so it wasn't exactly an enjoyable meal, but at least we got out of the house. On Saturday morning we headed to Evansville, Indiana for some shopping and to meet up with our Aunt Sue (my late grandmother, Honey's, sister) for lunch. Aunt Sue hadn't met Rane yet so we were happy they finally got together! Ella Ann was so excited to see Aunt Sue and she asked if she could sit by her during lunch. I know that made Aunt Sue's day to have a 4 year old so interested in her, drawing pictures for her, talking with her and holding her hand as we left the restaurant. Rane wasn't too happy at lunch either because it was his nap time but it was all worth it to see Aunt Sue. He slept all the way home and then another 1.5 hours once we got home so he was one happy camper after he woke up! That afternoon Gary and Gayla drove over and spent some time with the kids. Ella Ann enjoyed playing with Papa and Rane enjoyed cuddling a lot with Nana. That evening my Aunt Bee, who lives across the street, came over for dinner. Once again Ella Ann was pumped to have her over and asked to sit by her at dinner as well. Aunt Bee played dinosaurs with her while Mom and I worked on dinner. Ella Ann loved every minute of it. (So were we busy or what on Saturday??!!!) After dinner Ella Ann and Rane were dancing in the kitchen and Rane fell and busted his lip wide open. I called Spencer to see if he thought I should take him to the ER for stitches because it wouldn't stop gushing blood and of course since he said he wasn't there to see that it was my call. Great. So I decided against the stitches because once it stopped bleeding and I was able to really look at the two big slits I thought that they would heal fine. It was gross though!

Once Grandpa arrived home on Sunday it was all fun and games for Ella Ann. They went to Dairy Queen and got their ice cream cones, rode the Rhino and played in the little pool. That afternoon my dad's cousin Cindy, and mine, and her husband, Ed, stopped by on their way home from the lake (they live in Evansville) to meet Rane and see the rest of us. It was great spending a little bit of time with them and catching up.

Needless to say, my kids were absolutely WORN out by the time we headed home Monday morning. Both went to bed early last night and fell asleep quickly. VBS started at our church yesterday so today was our first day. Ella Ann had a blast!!! I was thrilled she had such a good time and was just fine and dandy without me around....finally! I am on the snack committee so I get to see her for a little bit during the morning and she was excited to show me her craft and the pictures she had colored. I will forever be on the snack committee from now on! I simply prepare snacks and serve them. This also means I am around the lovely snack table for the workers as well so I just sit around and eat and chat with everyone for 3 hours! Rane is in the nursery so I feel like I am on vacation!

Riding on the golf cart.

The one picture with Grandpa.

Playing in the pool.

Rane loves his blanket, I mean LOVES it.


The frosted cookie that spoiled Ella Ann's lunch at the mall in Evansville.

Mom took the kids for a ride on the carousel.....the highlight of the trip to Evansville for them!

Waiting for Aunt Sue at the restaurant.
Saying "cheeeeeeese" to each other. They love to make each other laugh all the time now.

Chatting it up with Aunt Sue.


Sweet boy. Mom just picked him up out of his bed that morning and he was still all wrapped up from head to toe in his blanket, which is how he sleeps every night....like a mummy. You can kind of see his busted lip in this picture. Unfortunately this is the end of the pictures. I failed miserably to snap any pics of the kids with Gary and Gayla, Aunt Bee and Cindy and Ed. Geez!!!

No comments: