Thursday, February 18, 2010

Just the 3 Of Us

I didn't realize how easy one child is, especially a 4-year-old, until I had two! Gary and Gayla drove through Atlanta on Tuesday after being in Florida for over a week and spent the night at our house. They, oh-so wonderfully, took Rane back with them until the end of the week! We are going to Mandy and Zach's house this weekend and Rane will be there so we won't be too long with out our sweet boy. Ohhhh but the time without him has been wonderful. Everything, I mean everything, is so easy and relaxed. There are no time restraints on what we do, where we go, where we eat, etc. Oh my it is great! I only have had one child to feed each morning, she sleeps until after 7, I laid in bed and watched the news before she woke up this morning, we went out to dinner and I didn't pack a single thing, I could get in and out of the car and not have to put anyone in a car seat, we could go anywhere we wanted to after lunch becuase there wasn't a nap time, etc. I feel liberated!

I really wanted to make the two full days we had together really special for Ella Ann. It is a rare occasion that it is just us girls because Rane is always with me. Ella Ann goes out and about with Spencer but rarely with just me. She was also very upset that Rane was leaving because they are literally stuck together like glue and when I told her he was going home with Nana and Papa she cried. It was not good. When I picked her up from ballet at 2 on Wednesday I told her to get dressed because we were going to the Children's Museum downtown. I swear I blinked and that kid was dressed and ready to go! She was super excited about going, especially not having to go to rest time! She had a ball running around and doing whatever she wanted to do and staying as long as she wanted at each activity. She also had my undivided attention so that was just great for her. When we got home I said, "Get out all of your toys with little pieces, your puzzles, markers, Zhu Zhu pets and crayons and do WHATEVER YOU WANT because Rane isn't here to swallow a thing!" Hallelujah I even left my cabinets unlocked! Wahoo! That girl worked three huge puzzles on the floor by herself while I prepared dinner. She was in her element without being disturbed. Ella Ann loves to have picnics but we can never do them because Rane would be in our food, of course, so last night I threw out some towels in the living room and the three of us ate manicotti (not the best choice for a picnic dinner) on the floor.

Today Ella Ann and I test drove a Honda Odessy, which I loved, and after eating lunch at home we drove downtown and hit the zoo. We had plans to drive to Rome to visit Jana and Mara Kate for the day but Mara Kate got sick Wednesday night so we were unable to go. I was just thankful I hadn't told Ella Ann yet or else she would have cried all day. Anyway, it was a beautiful afternoon for going to the zoo and when we walked in I told her that we would go to whatever exhibit she wanted and do whatever she wanted to do. Boy was she thrilled! We went to nearly everything but the best for us was watching the gorillas during feeding time. The baby gorillas and the massive daddy came right up to the glass where Ella Ann was standing and ate their apples. It was fascinating. We also went to three play areas and rode the train, her absolute favorite. We are members of the zoo and every single time we go she asks to ride that train but I always have to say no because Rane would take a dive off of my lap had he ridden it! She was grinning from ear to ear the entire trip! Once home we relaxed with Spencer for a bit and then went out for dinner. I can honestly say that I wore her out these past two days! She has been so well-behaved and I have thoroughly enjoyed my one-on-one time with Ella Ann.

We miss sweet Baby Rane terribly, though, and are looking forward to seeing him tomorrow night, along with the rest of our family. I know he is enjoying his time alone with his Nana and Papa and being well taken care of!

Our picnic dinner Wednesday evening.

Three birds were perched on the railing and Ella Ann crept up to them and started roaring like a lion. They weren't too happy.

Of course I missed my photo op with Ella Ann and the huge gorillia right in front of her!

After the gorilla exhibit we went to a little playground. I asked Ella Ann to come to me so she got on all fours and pretended to be a gorilla.


Ready to ride the train!

Climbing around on a playground thingy.

Enjoying our mommy/daughter date!

4 comments:

Andria said...

What a special time!!! Amazing how easy everything is with just one! Isn't it also amazing how much better they behave when they're on their own. It makes me realize the reason behind a lot of misbehaviour! So glad you two had this time together, but I'm sure you're anxious to get sweet Rane.
How fun that you test drove an Odysssey! Are you going to get one!? We LOVE ours!!!!

Janelle said...

That's awesome!! I love times it's just AK and me (as I get Ryan and me time quite often). Amazing how they thrive under the undivided attention...

We LOVE our Odyssey too, join the club! :)

Jana said...

Glad you had so much fun "girl time". That's what we are used to around here and I know going back to worrying about nap time will be an adjustment for me/us, but it'll be worth it!

Jana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.