Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Happy Birthday Spencer!

Today we celebrated Spencer turning, dare I say, THIRTY-TWO! I love birthdays and I love celebrating them and doing things for other people, i.e., mainly making the birthday cake and eating it! Spencer has been in Denver for ATS, which is a conference in his field, since Saturday so we were thrilled he was home and we got to celebrate together. He didn't have to go into work either...yeay! Rane and I ran birthday-related errands this morning and made the cake together. It was a strawberry layer cake and it is the first birthday cake I've ever made that actually turned out exactly how I wanted it to...finally! I picked up some salmon from Whole Foods, along with a roasted vegetable medley for dinner. I made mashed potatoes as well. The kids devoured their food quickly in order to get to the cake! It was a good day and hopefully Spencer felt special!


The cake!




It was white and red velvet cakes with Cool-Whip and strawberries in between the layers. I dirty iced it with vanilla frosting before covering it in Cool-Whip. It was really fun to make!


I forgot to take a picture of it, but Ella-Ann and Rane made a "Happy Birthday Daddy" banner that is hanging on the wall behind him.

The kids loved helping blow out all those candles!

Rane thought that was the coolest thing ever!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

What a special day for Spencer! That cake is amazing - Zach is jealous!! :) I hope you all had a great day together. Can't wait to see you in a little more than a week!
love,
Mandy

Anonymous said...

wow! this cake looks awesome. and pretty sure it tastes so good .