Sunday, August 01, 2010

Weird Kids

I have them. Doesn't every mom at some point think their child/children are strange? I enjoy the strangeness....it can be very funny. Ella Ann likes to speak in baby talk, acts like she's a cat or a dog, breastfeeds her stuffed dog, pretends her dollhouse people and Little People die, will watch the same two movies on long car rides for hours on end (Elmo and VeggieTales), will only wear shirts and dresses with sleeves, will only wear khaki shorts, dresses must twirl and has had several conversations with me about who will go to heaven first, her or Mara Kate (sorry Jana!). She is very concerned that Mara Kate will go to heaven first and Ella Ann will be left here on earth or vice versa and Ella Ann will be in heaven all alone without her best friend. Mind you, she never mentions family members being there with her....only Mara Kate! Rane is just as strange and he's not even 2 yet! The strangest thing he does is walk around the house with his blanket completely covering him (looks like a ghost) and will bump into walls. He is looking for Spencer's or my leg to latch onto so he can be picked up while staying bundled. He is either walking around like that or with his blanket wrapped around his neck and shoulders like a scarf. He also takes the Scope from my bathroom and will put it in a container of maternity clothes I have in my bedroom. Then he'll take it out of the container and put it back in the bathroom....back and fourth like that many, many times every day. He also follows me around while I vacuum and squawks. He always wants to be right beside me while I am trying to vacuum and as soon as I step away from it he will turn it on and then flip out every time. I know there are several more oddities about them but I do love that they are unique and so funny.

Both of them love, love to clean (weird or just type A like me???). I will hand them both a rag and Ella Ann gets a spray bottle of water and they will "clean" the house for well over an hour. Rane hates it when Ella Ann has had enough and puts the water away....he could clean all day!



Earlier this past week I really questioned how much fun my kids really are. haha! I thought it would be super fun to get messy with some learning/art. I put a ton of shaving cream on Ella Ann's table and let them play in it. I was teaching Ella Ann to practice her letters and numbers and I thought Rane would have fun just rubbing it everywhere. I was wrong. After about 30 seconds Rane starting crying because he didn't like the shaving cream on his hands and Ella Ann was ready to quit. Afterwards, on the way to the bathroom to take a bath Ella Ann said, "Well that wasn't fun at all. Was that my surprise?" I had told her earlier that I had a fun surprise for her. I mean, really......I thought it would have been fun!

Rane just getting acquainted with the shaving cream and doing okay with it.

Writing her letters.

Hating it!

1 comment:

Christy said...

This is so funny Katie! Well done for being a fun and spontaneous Mom with the shaving cream...at least, since the kids didn't love it, you don't have to endure that mess again...ha ha! Loved the Mara Kate/heaven story. Too cute!!