Monday, August 23, 2010

In the Car.....Again

We hit the road, yet again, and headed to Nashville on Friday and on Saturday, Kentucky, for Spencer's side of the family's annual get together at his Uncle Wayne and Aunt Connie's house. We love going each year so even though we were sick of traveling, as we have been on the road a LOT in the last 6 weeks and just a lot in general this summer, we knew it would be worth it. We have a ton of fun each year we go and Ella Ann couldn't wait to see her cousins, play and eat lots and lots of goodies! We picked up Ella Ann about 45 minutes early from school on Friday afternoon and proceeded to have a horrible trip with Rane. Won't get into that, but just know it was awful!

After spending the night at Zach and Mandy's house Friday night we got up bright and early and headed north to Connie's house. Thankfully Rane slept in the car (he was up at 5:45 a.m.) so that was his nap for the day. Ella Ann got to ride in the car with Carter, Seth and Ethan so she was extremely happy! It was so great to visit with everyone on Saturday and the kids had a blast. There were 8 kids 5 and under and Clisty, who entertained our kids all day long! Gayla and Connie rented a bouncy house for the kids and Carter, Seth, Thatcher and Ella Ann rarely exited the house unless it was to eat, get water or go to the bathroom! To say they loved it was an understatement! The adults enjoyed great food and conversations while we sat outside in the shade and watched the kids. Rane and Ethan rolled around in the dirt and grass most of the time! Rane really liked the bouncy house too but would only "bounce" if someone was holding him. Craig stayed in the bouncy house a lot of the day and wrestled/played with the kids....they loved it!

While we were sitting outside Papa took Rane over to the garden to explore it all. Little did Gary know how much Rane really, really liked vegetables, especially tomatoes. Wayne had tons and tons of little cherry tomatoes and yellow bell tomatoes ripe and ready to eat right off the plants. Gary picked so many for Rane to eat and he couldn't shove them fast enough in his mouth! By the time it was all said and done (after going back for round #2), Rane had probably eaten 40 tomatoes! I took him to pick a few at some point and when I looked down he was even eating the green ones! He always loves eating tomatoes at mealtime but this was a whole new world for him....picking them off the plant and eating nonstop!

After spending Saturday with the family, we headed back to Zach and Mandy's house (so we'd be closer to Atlanta for the drive on Sunday) after dinner. Ella Ann did not want to leave and I'm sure Rane didn't either. I think Rane was asleep before we even pulled out of the neighborhood! Thanks again, Wayne and Connie, for a fantastic time and all that you did for all of us!

When we got to Connie's house Saturday morning it was pouring down rain so the kids played inside (all with the same toy) for a little while.

Rane playing with Hadley and Harrison.

It was so humid outside after it rained that my camera wouldn't stop fogging up!

Notice Craig in the background taking down Carter! Ethan clung to Kasey and then was so hot that I don't think he got back in for the rest of the day! It was a sauna in that thing! I bounced for a few minutes with Spencer but then decided the baby bouncing on my bladder didn't feel so good so I had to quit! It was really fun, though!

Clisty was holding Rane trying to get him to jump and Craig was en route to attack Ella Ann. I love the funny faces!

With all the little boys there was an excessive amount of wrestling going on. At first Ella Ann wouldn't even get in the house because they were going crazy but I think she finally realized that if she wanted to have a good time she was just going to have to join them, and that she did!

Thatcher was so sweet...he grabbed Rane's hand when they walked out of the house and he helped him all the way to the yard!

I love this picture of Rane. This is what I see in my future after we move.....a big garden and my kids enjoying the fresh fruits and vegetables right off the plants.

Boy did he love the yellow ones!

Gary leading the pack of kids!

Yes indeed, Spencer was riding tricycles with Rane!

He cannot even escape the girly toys at Connie's house! He has no problem with it, though, as you can see!

Spencer jumping with Rane.

Harrison, Ethan and Rane have the same outfit so Danielle, Mandy and I packed the outfit just for this cute picture! Harrison is 8 months, Ethan is 15 months and Rane is 19 months.

It was impossible to get a good picture but I had to post this one because it was so cute!

I was reading a magazine on the way home that had an article about things people collect and/or children and their lovies. As I was reading, my pregnancy hormones kicked in and I couldn't stop the tears because I was thinking about how both my children are extremely attached to their blankets and how they provide so much comfort and security to them. I realized that this will not be forever and one day they will be mementos of mine and I can see myself sneaking a sniff and cuddling with them to remind me of their babyhood when they are teens. I grabbed my camera and turned around to take their picture while they were both cuddling their special blankets. They sit like this, always, for every single trip. The blankets are never, ever on the floor. I didn't even tell them to say "cheese," they were just sitting in their seats, happy as little clams.

4 comments:

Christy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christy said...

Katie, that's so sweet about their blankies...I'm trying to decide at the moment, which lovie/blankie I want Jack to get attached to :)And I LOVE the photo all the boys in matching outfits. Adorable!!!

Janelle said...

I hear ya on the lovies and blankets! My little Jack is already attached!! Too funny on the tomatoes, AK and I eat them off the vine as well--it's a race to see who can get to them quickest. :)

Mandy said...

Great pictures! We had so much fun with you guys this weekend. I can't wait for the day when we live closer to each other. I also love the picture of the kids with their blankets. So sweet!