Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Mush

Well I'm back on the baby food-making bandwagon. I was on it when Ella Ann was a baby but quickly jumped wagon when I realized it took up too much of my time and was annoying. So you ask, mush, what is mush? Yeah, it sounds gooooooooood, doesn't it? I thought the same thing when I heard about it from a friend. I had actually heard of mush when Ella Ann was a baby but never tried to figure out what it was. Well when I was talking to a friend at church about feeding Rane she had asked if I was going to try mush. Well now I know what mush is and now I know why she told me her 3-year-old daughter STILL asks to eat it when her baby brother is delving into it! Rane l-o-v-e-s it! Okay so here it is:

applesauce (used unsweetened)
spinach (used a box of frozen)
green beans (used a bag of frozen)
sweet potatoes (used 1 very large one)
bananas (used 3)

Directions: Blend. Yup, that's it. I simply cooked the veggies and then threw it all together in my food processor and ta da! Well, not really ta da yet.....I then used my emulsion blender to better blend the mush because the spinach was not getting as pureed as I wanted it to be. Side note: I love these two kitchen appliances. I use them both at least 5-8 times a week. My mother-in-law gave me the blender for Christmas and it is so handy! I use it to puree soups, cream up soups and puree all kinds of fruits and veggies for Rane and Ella Ann. Oh and it's good for smoothies too! I plan on just emulsifing what we eat for dinner and giving it to Rane once he is bigger. This should save me lots of money since I will NOT be buying baby food. I'll let you know if I'm still hyped up on my baby food making in a few months! :) Back to mushing......Ella Ann and I made it this morning and we both tested it and thought it was delish! Really! Honestly it just tastes like bananas. I made a massive amount, poured it into ice cube trays and froze it. Now I can just take out as many servings as I need each time and it will be great on the go because the cubes can defrost on my way. I served it to Rane cold and since he likes his bottles super warm I didn't know if he would go for it but he started going "Ahhhhhhhhh, ahhhhhhhh, ahhhhh!!" with his arms out, stiff as boards and trying to grab my hand to put the spoon back in his mouth! It's a hit! So, you mommys that read my blog and don't do mush you should try it. The cost of the never-ending bowl of mush cost me about $3 because I already had the applesauce and sweet potatoes. Ella Ann loves the fruit already in it and sweet potatoes so I will just give her the leftovers.

Bowl of mush....

my fozen mush.....

mush in mouth (he grabs the spoon out of my hand, always, and tries to shove it in his mouth)....

post mush!

2 comments:

Janelle said...

awesome! I totally need to get inventive with ways to get green veggies in my boy. I always made both kids' baby food, but have never heard of mush?? Hmm. Let you know how it goes. :)

General Mayham said...

For the love, don't make a sissy out of this kid. Feed him bacon.