Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A New Driver In the Family

Ella Ann, my little three-year-old smarty pants, has become the newest want-to-be driver in our family. Every time we are in the car she has no problem telling me how to drive. "Mommy, you stop at red lights, go at green lights, and slooooooow down at orange lights, okay?" Here is our conversation on our way to school Monday morning:

EA: "Mommy!!! You CAN'T turn on red lights!!!!"

Me: "Ella Ann, I can turn right on red it's okay."

EA: "NO YOU CAN'T!!!!" "IT'S RED NOT GREEN!" "YOU CAN ONLY GO ON GREEN MOMMY!!!"

Me: "YES, I can turn right on red!" "I KNOW how to drive Ella Ann!"

EA: "No you don't!" "You can ONLY go on green!" "Don't do that Mommy!" "You have to be careful!"

Me: "Okay Ella Ann you are right." "Next time you can drive us to school."

EA: "Okay!"

Yes, I was arguing with her on the rules of the road! Sometimes I just like to argue back to see what she'll say....often I'm glad I do because it's usually pretty funny!

Before we left for school today I grabbed a big oats container out of our recycling containers that were outside for pickup this morning. I forgot I wanted to keep it to make a "I'm thankful" drop bin so we can, throughout the year, write on a strip of construction paper what we are thankful for at a particular moment or day and then read them all at Thanksgiving next year and make a paper chain out of it. I mindlessly grab the container and throw it in the car to take back inside when I get home. Well, as I'm driving along I look over at the oats container only to see a big slug working it's way out!!! I scream, of course! Ella Ann starts yelling, "WHAT? WHAT?" I tell her what it is and start laughing and pick up the container to show the slug to Ella Ann, who then flips out and wants it out of her face immediately! I just think it will stay in the container (it was going back in) while we are in the car so I just tell myself I'll throw it away when I get home. Well it does not. I look over and now it's trying to get on my purse so I start screaming again and I look back at Ella Ann and she's got her legs and her arms curled up as tight as they can possibly get against herself in the car seat (as if it's going to jump to the back seat) and she starts yelling, 'GET IT OUT! GET IT OUT MOMMY! NOW!!!!" I wheel the car into a shopping center and get rid of that slug asap! Ahhhh....gotta love interesting mornings to start your day off right! :)

One more thing, Jana took this picture of the girls Sunday night at our church's Christmas cantata service. I stole it off her blog to post on mine because it was too cute! They are wearing their matching green bows!

1 comment:

Jana said...

I HATE, HATE slugs and would have SCREAMED too! I probably would have had a wreck!! Glad you were able to get rid of it.

MK also likes to tell me when to GO (when she sees the light turn green) and always asked me why I'm stopping, when we aren't even at a light---yeah, teaching her the word TRAFFIC!! Too many cars on the road, that's why we stop randomly sometimes.

Glad the girls enjoyed sitting with one another Sunday night...and I course I enjoyed sitting with you too. :)