Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Granny

Written by Spencer:
Granny, as she was known to her three grandchildren and three great-grandchildren , died last week after 85 good years. My Dad was her only child, so we were all very close and spent a lot of time with her growing up. She lived a very simple life compared to today's average lifestyle, but was always happy with what she had and always generous. She always went out of her way to take care of the people around her, even as she has been ill the last several years.

She worked as a seamstress to support herself and my Dad. She could sew about anything and was most known for her quilts for which we have 25+ in our family to remember her. I remember when I wanted a silk shirt in middle school and they were expensive, so Granny got the material and made one herself. She also fell in love with QVC and we had a run of Christmas's from QVC for several years. And her cooking was unmatched-same meal everytime we came to see her and it was always the best. She was also a very intelligent lady and her quick wit and subtle jabs(especially to Craig) were one of my favorite things about her.


The memories I have are many: walks around Glasgow, sugar cookies and banana pudding, addition and subtraction of really large numbers, marbles, raking leaves, eel skin wallets, a 1986 Buick with 50,000 miles, canned everything, French dressing expired 5 years prior, bottled Coke, her attic, Minnie, towels that disintegrated, Cheerios with sugar, and a very dinky Christmas tree.

As her brother-in-law, Kenneth, noted at her funeral, she became a Christian in 1948 and served God faithfully for 60 years. Her greatest legacy has to be my Dad, who she somehow raised as a working single parent in such a way that he somehow knew how to be a great father without ever truly having his own.

I know it is best that Granny passed peacefully at her home with my parents and she can finally rest. We will miss her everyday and will remember her and all the time we had together. She lived a life worth living and clearly touched all those who were around her. She took care of those close to her and never wanted anything back. In fact, she really never wanted anything except for the time she spent with her family. I'm glad Ella Ann had a chance to know her and hopefully will remember her.

Ella Ann making her way over to visit Granny.



Reading books with Daddy and Granny.


Giving Granny a kiss.




With her 3 great grandchildren a few months ago.

Playing doctor.


6 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Spencer - Thanks for the beautiful thoughts about Granny. I am very proud of you. Dad

Jana said...

Spencer, After losing my Grandpa (he lived 84 good years) about 2 months ago, I can sympathize with how you are feeling better than I ever could have before. It is a great loss and one that will take much time to work through.

It's wonderful that she loved her family so much, was such an example of contentment even in the simple things. Thanks for sharing your memories!

Mandy said...

awesome! I had to copy and put a link on my blog...hope you don't mind. I can't wait to spend time with you all in Florida!
Love,
Mandy

Anonymous said...

I couldn't have said it better myself. I would have to add memories of the unforgettable silver necklaces, stockings on christmas mornings, and leaf raking. Lots of leaf raking.

And what's this about subtle jabs at me? I don't recall that. They must have been real subtle.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't have said it better myself. I would have to add memories of the unforgettable silver necklaces, stockings on christmas mornings, and leaf raking. Lots of leaf raking.

And what's this about subtle jabs at me? I don't recall that. They must have been real subtle.