Saturday, July 05, 2008

A Fantastic 4th

Spencer and I hadn't made any plans at all for the 4th of July. We just thought about just grilling out for the two of us but nothing other than that. Jana called me as I was baking cookies Friday morning and asked what we were doing that day. Her sister and her family were supposed to come for the long weekend but because of sickness they were not able to make it. Jana had made pounds, literally, of food and no one to eat it so we set a time for them to bring themselves and all their food and we would combine all that we had for a big holiday feast! The men grilled the awesome hamburgers, the girls chased each other around as usual screaming and hollering (thankfully this time outside!), and Jana and I chatted like hens while we prepared the rest of the food in the kitchen. We enjoyed our great meal together and had tons of food to spare too! After dinner the girls continued playing while the four of us played Bonanza, a card game that Kane and Jana brought. It was really fun! I honestly couldn't have asked for a better way to spend the 4th! I remember my Dad has told me several times about how they used to get together with a bunch of good friends on weekend nights to eat and play games while the kids played together because none of them had a lot of money and it was good, cheap fun. I thought of them while we were with Kane and Jana and what good memories we were making that will last a lifetime. Thanks again, Kane, Jana, and Mara Kate for spending the evening with us and especially for all the good food you brought! We look forward to the next time we do it.....very soon!

Ahhh...the continual running and squealing!

They just love each other so much! Jana was standing beside me and got a way better picture!

Kane supervised Spencer while he grilled! :)

Both girls took about 3 bites of food and insisted on getting down to play!

As you can see, we had a good time together!

To get them to calm down later that evening we put on VeggieTales. Ella Ann is holding Mara Kate's beloved penguin. They share so well...really!

1 comment:

Jana said...

We had a blast too. Thanks for opening your home to us at the spur of the moment. I think in a way it made the evening more fun---to be spontaneous!

Feel free to copy that pic from my blog and save for yourself. It is a cute one of the girls! See you soon!