Sunday, June 08, 2008

One Hot Weekend

Hot doesn't really describe the heat we are experiencing down here at the moment. Despite the oppressive temperatures, we got outside and endured it for some fun....of course! Saturday Spencer had the day off so we headed to the Virginia-Highlands, a trendy neighborhood close to where to live, to go to Summerfest. It's a big art festival with lots of good food and a huge play area for kids to make crafts or play in the sand. Last year we went twice but this year we lasted about an hour. All three of us were literally dripping with sweat and it was only 11:00 in the morning! We didn't even walk around to check out all the vendors, we headed straight to the children's area, let Ella Ann make a couple of crafts and play on the awesome playground, and then we walked back to our air-conditioned car! It was honestly just miserable to be outside. There were so many people there too, I don't know what they were thinking! Although I did manage to take several pictures of Ella Ann while we were there. Spencer followed her around the playground while I sat in the shade drying my sweat!

Saturday evening we went to a pool party hosted by 3 of Spencer's friends from residency. Since he will be finished with his 3-year residency (YEAYYYYYYYY!) at the end of this month, many of his friends are having get togethers because a lot of them will be leaving. It started at 6 p.m. and we were the first to arrive! ha! Fortunately, other people with kids showed up shortly after, since we are always the first group of people to leave because of bedtimes! Well, we all had a blast! I enjoy hanging out with Spencer's friends because they are such great people, but I rarely see them so it was nice to catch up. Ella Ann was a fish in the pool the entire time and loved playing with all the kids. They had lots of good food, which Ella Ann also enjoyed. Ohh...on a side note...Spencer and I have managed to get our child to eat meat!!! She has eaten Hamburger Helper this week AND chicken!!!! Holy cow, I know! Can you believe it? I decided to quit making her separate food from us at dinnertime and told her she would now be eating what was served. Well, after a little bribing, pleading, and eventually demanding, she took her first bites of meat and loved it! Hopefully, her vegetarian status is officially over! :) So back to the pool party, we stayed for quite a long time, in fact Ella Ann didn't get to bed until 9 p.m.! Aren't you all so proud of me! I didn't even get mad! :) Well of course that didn't stop her from getting up at 7 a.m. still this morning, but that was okay because we had to get to church early so I could work in the nursery.
On a funny note, on the way to our car to leave the party, a jet flew really low over us and Ella Ann was going nuts. Once we got in the car she said to us, "I saw that plane in the sky. Man, that was amazing." Is she learning Spencer and I's language or what? :)
Here are some pictures from Saturday and this morning.

Ella Ann loves any kind of fruit, so she was thrilled to get her own slice of watermelon at Summerfest!

Trying to decide what to do first in the Kid's Zone.

She made a puppet and a sand bracelet. Look how hot she is! Despite the I-may-quickly-pass-out-at-any-moment look, she kept saying, "I don't want to go home!"

This was a neat little contraption at the playground that all the kids wanted on. I guess it was because they could catch a breeze on it!


This turned out to be a neat picture of her.

Bustin' out some singing and dancing before the pool party got underway!


She managed to persuade Spencer to get in the water by saying in front of all his friends, "I want my Daddy to get in the pool with me!!" Over and over! It was very cute!

Wherever Anjuli, the little baby in the picture, went Ella Ann was right behind her! She is obsessed with babies!

Spencer with a few of his close friends. You never get to see pictures of his friends on the blog! Too bad I only have this one.

I took this picture before we walked out the door to go to church this morning because I wanted to brag about my bargain buy. I got this cute bubble at a consignment sale this past winter for $2.50! I must brag because you know I don't do well with bargain shopping, I'd rather pay full price than rummage through truckloads of bins with crazed mom's stuffing items like mad in laundry baskets! I'm not joking, that's what they do! I do have to say that Ella Ann got her fingers stepped on at the consignment sale where I bought the above outfit! That is why the GAP is so much more appealing to me! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lies! Spencer has no friends. Fact.