Tuesday, January 04, 2011

She Is Here

Pierson Virginia Jensen arrived on December 31, 2010 at 10:36 p.m. (Yeay for the 2010 tax break!), weighing 6 pounds 1 ounce and 18 inches in length! In case you are wondering, Pierson is just a name we liked and Virginia is Spencer's grandmother's name.

I had not felt her move much all morning that Friday so I called Spencer to tell him to come home from work to keep Ella-Ann and Rane so I could drive downtown to Emory Midtown, where I deliver, to get the baby checked out. We found out at our 20-week ultrasound that I had a 2-vessel cord. In a normal umbilical cord there are two arteries and one vein and Pierson's cord only had one artery and one vein. All abnormalities that can be associated with this condition were ruled out but I had to go each month for an ultrasound to measure her growth because she was at risk for low birth weight. Each month we got a good report but the anxiety of her delivery and birth were always at the forefront of my mind. I wanted everything to be perfect with this pregnancy and it was not, so a prayer for baby girl was always on my lips each day.

My ultrasound doctor told me at my last ultrasound that I needed to be vigilant about counting kicks since I was at a higher risk for a stillborn baby. Great. That was just what I needed to hear! That was why I really wanted to head to the hospital on the 31st when she wasn't moving quite as much as she normally does. As soon as I was hooked up to the ultrasound she started showing off, of course, and was fine. However, since I have been sick for a while and probably not drinking fluids as much as I should have been, the baby's amniotic fluid level was too low. Since I was already 3 centimeters dilated and had the low fluid I was kept at the hospital for delivery. Spencer took the kids next door to our neighbor's house to be looked after until whichever set of grandparents arrived at our house first to take over. Both our families, thankfully, had no trouble getting down here quickly. After picking up our kids and trading off with Gary and Gayla, my parents came to the hospital.

I was given Pitocin, a drug to speed along the contractions and get a regular pattern with them, when I was around 5 centimeters. After the doctor broke my water I went from 5 centimeters to 9 and ready to push in about an hour. I didn't want an epidural because I delivered naturally with Rane and although it was beyond painful I loved how good I felt after delivery and wanted to do it again. Also, an epidural can slow down delivery and Pierson needed to get out in order to avoid distress (low oxygen) with the 2-vessel cord and I would have to be delivered via c-section. It was obviously excruciatingly painful and I screamed my head off (poor Spencer and everyone else in the room) but after about 5 hard pushes Pierson was out! The cord was wrapped tight around her neck so there was concern as soon as she was delivered because she was blue and not crying but once she was freed of the cord, poked and prodded she was screaming like crazy. It was closing in on midnight when my parents came back into the delivery room. I was absolutely starving since I hadn't eaten since breakfast that morning so Spencer ordered pizza and my parents had brought a bottle of champagne from our house. It was so much fun to ring in the New Year with an amazing blessing! My parents, Spencer and I toasted with champagne in Styrofoam cups and Spencer and I scarfed down a large pizza in 2 seconds! It was so much fun!

We did great in the hospital and Zach and Mandy even drove down with the boys on Saturday to surprise us. It was so nice! The grandparents did a great job taking care of Ella-Ann and Rane while Spencer stayed with me. Ella-Ann and Rane came to the hospital on Saturday morning and both of them loved their new sister. I had shirts made for all of them and I was one proud momma seeing all of my babies together for the first time. It was such a special moment to me and I will never, ever forget it. Ella-Ann, of course, thought Pierson was her personal property and did not want to share her at all and Rane was very curious about her and kept poking at her face. They were both very sweet and I am so blessed to have three healthy, beautiful children.

After I was discharged on Sunday morning, we came home and had a quick little birthday party for Rane since everyone was down here visiting and wouldn't be back for his birthday on the 9th. I ordered an Elmo and Grover cake and everyone brought down his presents. He loved all the attention and really enjoyed his cake! I will post pictures of his celebration soon.

Since we have been home things have been going well. Pierson is doing great and we are all in love with her. I took a lot of pictures so click HERE to see the rest of them.



Before the pain got intense!














1 comment:

Mandy said...

Thanks for sharing the story! I love reading other people's baby stories. :) Sweet baby Pierson! So glad we got to come down and love on her for a few minutes. Thanks to that visit, Seth has asked every day for another baby at our house!
love,
Mandy