Saturday, November 14, 2009

A Luau for Ella Ann

Today we gathered all of our friends, except for the sick ones, and Papa and Nana to celebrate Ella Ann's 4th birthday (her birthday is actually on the 16th). The weather was absolutely perfect for her Birthday Luau! Gary and Gayla drove down on Friday afternoon, which was a tremendous help for us because they stepped in and took care of the kids while Spencer, who is still sick, rested a little (after mowing the back yard and putting together Ella Ann's birthday present...of course) and I prepped for the big day today. After dinner Friday night Ella Ann was begging me, at 6:30 p.m., to go to bed because she was "tired." Yeah right! The kid was wide awake and I knew she would be! The only reason she wanted to go to sleep was to hurry up and make Saturday morning get here! Well little did Ella Ann know that you actually have to sleep to make the night go by faster! Spencer and I went to bed at 10 p.m. (after I decorated and prepped everything possible before the party) and Ella Ann was still sitting in her bed talking to her animals. She still got up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at 7:30 a.m.! I got up at 6 a.m. and finished up decorating her cake and having my coffee before the chaos ensued. She was SO excited when she walked into our dining area and saw all of her luau decorations and party favors for her and her friends! Each child received a beach ball cup with their name on it, a lei, sunglasses, tattoos and a party blower. They were set to party!

Gayla helped me do everything that morning before the party, during the party and after the party. I don't know what we would have done without her and Gary. Since Rane is still pretty puny someone had to hold him the entire time and Gary took care of that. Spencer and I were able to mingle with our friends and enjoy Ella Ann's party. We all had such a good time! When all the kids arrived, we tattooed them (do I need to actually tell you they were fake??), fed them and threw them outside! I know you are just dying to know what we ate so here it goes: fruit and cheese kabobs, "fish" for goldfish (take a pretzel stick, dip it in the "water" i.e., cream cheese and "fish" for the goldfish, Gayla's yummy bean dip, veggies and dip, banana chips and cake. Ella Ann received a picnic table from Nana and Papa for her birthday so it was great to have that for the kids today. The weather was starting to get warm by the time her party started so we mainly stayed in the backyard the entire time. After we ate the kids hunted for a treasure chest full of chocolate gold coins in the yard, made modeling clay sea creatures, ate cake and Ella Ann opened all of her gifts. The highlight for the kids was the trampoline Spencer and I gave Ella Ann. They would get in the tent and jump and jump and jump away! I think they all loved the cake as much as the trampoline! Lots of sugar + a trampoline = lots of crazy kids! Actually, it was all very low key and contained. No tantrums, meltdowns or screaming occurred at all. Everyone obeyed, played well together and had a good time. We invited all of Ella Ann's group of friends and 4 little girls from her preschool class....10 total, plus the little brothers and sisters. Three kids couldn't make it but we still had a good crowd.


Ella Ann received lots of wonderful gifts from friends and family and has played with all of them all day long. I don't think tonight, though, she will have any trouble at all going to sleep and neither will the rest of us! I am not done baking, though. I have to make PINK cupcakes with PINK icing and PINK sprinkles for Ella Ann's preschool class on Monday!


Of course we took a lot of pictures so HERE they are! Some are below so that my Dad can view them.

Jumping at 8:30 a.m. this morning! She was dressed and ready for the party before 8!

The party favors.

My childhood best friend, Molly, had a pool birthday cake when we were little and I remembered it so vividly and have always wanted to try and recreate it. I hope I would have made Molly and her mother proud!


The diving board. The gummy yellow things are the beach balls. I iced bathing suits on the bears.

The food!




Jumping with Audrey and Caitlyn.


They found the treasure and are eating it!


Erin, Lucy Kate and Ella's mom, was helping Ella Ann with her sea creature.




Opening presents!


Grandpa and Mimi gave her Sleeping Beauty and the whole shebang! The crown lights up and flashes!

No comments: