Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Fear Conquered

I did it! I conquered my fear of baking with yeast! I know, you are just as excited as me! I have never baked any bread from scratch that involved me working with yeast. I don't know why really, I guess I was afraid since it is "alive" and all. Well I found a Kosher cookbook in the back of one of our cabinets this weekend (the people that own our house are Jewish) and after looking through it I found, what appeared to be, an easy bread recipe...with yeast. I made it Saturday night when everyone was sleeping and Spencer was out of town so I wouldn't have any disruptions or questions as to what I was doing from one very nosey little person. The recipe required me to knead the bread for 10-15 minutes, which I thought sounded like forever, but once I got started I really had fun doing it. It was quiet in the kitchen, just one light was on, no one was talking and I was alone with my thoughts. It was nice! So I let it rise in the fridge and I baked it the next morning.......



the finished product. I know you want a bite, don't you? It tasted wonderful and Spencer agreed! I will be doing this often now!



Not much is going on so far this week. I am just running errands and getting ready for my parents to come down for Thanksgiving tomorrow. We are going out to dinner for our Thanksgiving feast, we will attempt to shop on Black Friday and Mom and I are going to see "New Moon" that evening. I can't wait to have them down...we have missed them! Mom and I are going to prepare a bunch of appetizers for Thursday day to much on until dinner, which is always fun.

I took the below pictures of Rane yesterday who was carrying around a balloon weight in his mouth. I was standing in the kitchen and couldn't see him crawling on the floor...all I could see was a big white balloon moving across the room!


2 comments:

Megan said...

Yum! What was the recipe you used? I would love to try it!

Gayla said...

Looks great. I think it would be fine to put a piece of foil over the top for the last few minutes of cooking. Also, you might want to just make smaller loaves. I bet Spencer enjoyed it. You all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. We will miss being with you all. Love, Gayla