Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A Trip On the Pink Pig

So you ask, "What is the Pink Pig?" Good question! I was wondering the same thing when we moved here and all I heard about was the Pink Pig at Macy's around Thanksgiving through New Years. Come to find out it is an Atlanta tradition that has been going on since the 1950s that was originally at Rich's department store. It is simply a big Pink Pig train that takes you around the inside of a gigantic tent filled with all kinds of pink holiday decorations and displays of pigs doing holiday activities, i.e., baking, deocrating the tree, reading stories, etc. I thought it would be this grand thing since SO many people stand in line for hours to ride the Pig and everyone seems to know about it..but it was not! Well, I do have to admit that the sheer joy of watching Ella Ann go crazy over the Pig was fun enough for me and probably the reason why every parent stands in line forever to let their child ride it! Yesterday when I told Ella Ann we were going I thought she was going to burst with excitement! She knew about it because I had already taken her to the mall once to ride it, but was a day too early so she was really disappointed even though she had no idea what the Pink Pig was. I also dressed her in her holiday best because I was hoping to take her picture at a holiday display at the mall for our Christmas card but that didn't quite happen. Most of the kids, though, riding the Pig with us (by the way we were the first in what turned out to become a very long line for a Wednesday morning) were all dolled up in their Christmas outfits to sit on Santa's lap. To say that Ella Ann loved riding that Pig was an understatement! It was her first "ride" on anything so she loved it and cried when we had to get off!

After the excitement of the Pink Pig I took her into the mall to just look at Santa because I knew she wouldn't want to sit on his lap. I asked her if she did and she initally said no, but then the lady working for Santa told her she would get a candy cane after she told Santa what she wanted so she changed her mind, even though she had no clue what a candy cane was!! I didn't get her picture taken because I was afraid she would back out and it was way too expensive for that to happen. She did great and when Santa asked her what she wanted she said, "I don't know." Probably because we don't talk about Santa too much and she didn't know she was supposed to ask for something. I prompted her with "rooms for my dollhouse" so that's what she asked for. Boy was she thrilled with the reward of a candy cane! She was a complete red, sticky mess when it was over!


Ella Ann wouldn't stand next to the pig because she was afraid!

She thought she was so special because she got a ticket to ride!

No we were not the only ones, just the first!!!

This is a Christmas card cast off...a picture at Pottery Barn!
I also wanted to post these last two pictures because they were too funny (at least to me)! Spencer was trying to nap Sunday afternoon on the couch with Ella Ann playing around him...really, what was he thinking? She eventually climbed up on him, got under the covers with her baby, and started taking pictures of him with her camera! The funny part was that the camera says, "SAY CHEESE!" or "You're as pretty as a princess!" So she would get right in his face and that camera would start screaming in his ear! Maybe you had to be there.... :)

She has the camera under the covers.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

She looks so pretty! Sounds like you all had fun. Too funny about Spencer. Who can take a nap with a 3 year old around??? He should know better!! :) Have a great Thanksgiving!!
Love,
Mandy

Jana said...

How fun! Well, I just may have to take MK to ride it. I'll let you know if I do so you can join us if you want to go AGAIN! :)

That is funny about the nap. Sometimes I try to lay on the couch and MK is always on top of me and under the covers as fast as she can get there...not a great way to get any real rest, that's for sure.

Happy Thanksgiving!! See you all next week, I'm sure.