Friday, July 22, 2011

The Highs and Lows

It's been a good week around here, even though we have missed our big girl. She comes home tomorrow so we are happy to have our family complete again soon. The allergist called today and Ella-Ann's shots start on Monday...dun, dun, dun. Let the games begin, I say! I am so ready to get her on these shots and feeling better...feeling good for a change!

I took Pierson to physical therapy on Thursday and the therapist was happy with how much progress Pierson has made in a week. She can now turn her head left to right a full 115 degrees both ways, which she could not do last week. The therapist said she could tell we have been working her hard at home over the last week. It has helped that we haven't had much to do so I have had a lot of time to focus on Pierson. Rane has been very sweet with her and patient with me during all the stretches and exercises I have to do with her. He is such a sweet and good big brother to Pierson. The low of the visit was when I told the therapist that I have noticed Pierson isn't progressing with certain physical things as she should be for her age. She doesn't reach for toys, she doesn't hold them for very long and you have to open her hand and put one in it, she has no muscle tone in her arms so she cannot hold herself up while on her belly, nor can she keep her arms from flailing when she is on her belly or anytime for that matter, she doesn't open her hands much and when I put a "heavier" rattle in her hand she cannot lift her arm to bring it to her mouth. I explained to the therapist about the 2-vessel cord and that this isn't something new for Pierson, she has always been kinda lazy. She doesn't show much interest in toys and is perfectly content to sit and watch her siblings and the world go by. She does babble and makes eye contact with you at all times so that is good news. I asked the therapist if she thought it could be mental and not just physical and she said at this point it is hard to tell but she probably thought it was poor muscle tone and we just need to strengthen her. I was told to bring up my concerns with her pediatrician at her 9-month check up, so obviously it isn't that urgent. The therapist said that she could just be a very relaxed, laid back child and I do think she is just that. I just wish I would've noticed some of the red flags earlier on, like her not opening her hands (we used to have to wash her hands every day because they stunk so bad from never opening), the fact that she doesn't transfer a toy from one hand to the other, doesn't bring "heavy" objects to her mouth and still lacks control over her arms. She also keeps her legs stiff all the time so we are going to work on bending her knees, going from squatting to standing and sitting with her feet touching one another. I left the therapy session with a heavy heart as a mother but I know we are on the right track to getting Pierson stronger! I was told that we are now in therapy for 6 months, until January, 2012, instead of 6 weeks, which we were initially told. We are working a lot with her at home by doing lots of new and different exercises frequently and pushing her to do things on her own, like touch toys and hold them with both hands. I still have to do a few neck stretches as well but not as many, whew! I do have to say Pierson is doing a lot better than she was last week, like sitting and raising her head instead of always having her chin in her neck. I know we will get there. The therapist keeps reminding me that this is a marathon not a sprint!

1 comment:

NANA said...

She is so beautiful. I am sure that in a few months you will see a major change in her movements. Hang in there. Connie