Sunday, July 29, 2007

City Break

This weekend Spencer worked at a hospital that was 90 miles northeast of the city in a small town called Toccoa. Since he didn't think he was going to have to be a slave to the hospital all day and night, Ella Ann and I joined him for a mini trip. Ella Ann and I left on Friday afternoon and got to sit in some serious rush hour traffic and Spencer left after work and breezed up the interstate and arrived early that evening. Figures! Ella Ann and I enjoyed a pit stop at a fantastic farmer's market along the way. I saw it on top of a huge hill and whipped the car around and went back! It was HUGE! They had everything from antiques, nick nacks, an obscene amount of homemade jams, relishes, salsas, sauces, etc. and the locals brought their homemade baked goods to sell, so you can imagine the yummy food I encountered along with the homegrown produce! I got a few things but held back because I really didn't need to bring home a truckload of food I wouldn't be able to eat fast enough! They also served fresh fried peach pies and homemade peach ice cream! Yummm!!! Ella Ann was running around like a banshee and trying to touch everything in sight!

Toccoa is a very, very sleepy town and we really enjoyed the change of pace. We were one of the 2 guests staying at the 11-room hotel! The room was really nice; it had a kitchenette so I brought food to eat for us and we had a little sitting area separate from the bedroom, which was perfect for when Ella Ann napped. While Spencer worked on Saturday morning/early afternoon, Ella Ann and I got out to explore the little town and had SO much fun! Ella Ann was raring to go before 7 a.m. and kept saying "outside" and "walk". So off we went before 9 a.m. I hit the local coffee shop for a very cheap cappuccino (ohhh and gas was $2.61!!!!) while Ella Ann played around on the floor with Candyland. You could tell that everyone knew one another because I got several inquiries as to whether or not I was new to the area, visiting their college (a guy working at the coffee shop thought I was just out of high school!), etc. After chatting with several people while drinking my yummy cappuccino, Ella Ann and I headed off in the rain to a park. Thankfully, the rain stopped but it was too muddy to hike the trails with the stroller so we moseyed through the town shops which ended up being way more fun for me! They had lots of neat antique shops, thrift stores, and furniture stores that were awesome! I can't wait until we move because I am going back to buy things for our future new home! :)

Spencer came back to the hotel early afternoon and we all hung out until Ella Ann and I left to come back home that evening. I felt so bad leaving Spencer all by himself in what he considered to be a very boring town! He had to work all day Sunday and into the evening but drove home when he got off. Next time we will stay all weekend so we can do some more exploring of other parks and surrounding towns!

Ella Ann's trying to pick up as many peaches as possible! She would start holding them under her armpits!

This was just the produce side of the market! I can't wait to go again!

She LOVED the telephone in our room! One time I asked her who she was talking to and she turned to me and says, "Mimi."

Going crazy in the coffee shop dancing to the shaking of my mints!


Playing with all the Candyland pieces.

This is the beautiful park we went to...in the rain!

This is a (bad) picture of the waterfall Ella Ann was backed up to the the above picture. It was so pretty...the water was a clear bluish-green!

This is how she rides in the car quite often....with her blanket either on top of her head or completely covering her face!


Ella Ann and her Daddy did get to enjoy some time together before we left. She missed him so much and was very happy to hang with him Saturday afternoon.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

I'm so glad you all had a good weekend! We are counting down till you guys come visit!
Love,
Mandy
p.s. Ella Ann's expression and smile in the last picture remind me so much of Carter. I have never thought they look alike, but I can see it in that picture! :)

Jana said...

I am glad that you had a good weekend and got a little break from "the city"...you got some really cute pictures of Ella Ann...

We miss you and look forward to seeing you all when we get back home!

love ya,

Jana