Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Scoop

I must give a big long sigh before I begin....sighhhhhhh. I am currently typing from our new laptop. This would be because our old laptop was stolen yesterday out of our home when someone broke in and robbed us while I was visiting Jana all day. I had turned my phone off for most of the day because I realized my battery was low when I got to her house so I wanted to conserve power for my rainy trip home. This ended up being a blessing in disguise because our neighbor came home and saw that the door inside our carport was wide open and our cars were gone so she called the police and tried her best to get in touch with me and after many tries she eventually reached Spencer who came right home and took care of everything. Had she gotten a hold of me at Jana's I would have completely flipped out and then drove home in the rain with my two very tired kids. It was good that Spencer got there first and took care of the police report. He was sitting in our doorway (since he couldn't shut the door) when I pulled up and I knew something was wrong. I first asked him if I had burned the house down since I left our dinner in the crock pot all day and I was overwhelmed with shock when he told me someone broke in our house. Long story short, they kicked in the door and quickly grabbed whatever they could before leaving. Our house, thankfully, was not ransacked and everything was in complete order, except for our missing microwave (got it on Craigslist for $40 so who cares), laptop, every single DVD and Wii game that we have to our name (I do still have a Dora and Veggietales DVD since that's what I packed for Ella Ann to watch in the car on the way to Jana's house....ohh goodie), DVD player and my jewelry box. So sad. The funny thing was they did not take our Wii....just the junkie DVD player right beside it. I actually keep all of my nice jewelry in a hidden spot so they didn't take that. Whew. They did get a pair of pearl earrings that Spencer gave me when we were dating that I wear nearly every single day, obviously except for yesterday, my charm bracelet that I've had since early high school, all my "fun" jewelry and a pair of earrings that belonged to my grandmother that I just kept for sentimental reasons.

I did not handle it well at all. It's the whole being violated thing that gets to me so I cleaned our house like crazy last night just to get "them" out. Our door got fixed last night but even with that being done Spencer and I still didn't sleep well. I just keep telling myself that it is just stuff and what is truly important are the two precious children sleeping down the hall right now and my husband at work. So life goes on.......
`

3 comments:

Janelle said...

Oh Katie!!! I'm so sorry, I can't even imagine how violated you feel. It's true, they are just "things", but they were yours and you are allowed to be sad and "mourn" them. So sorry friend.

Jana said...

Katie, I prayed last night that you might get some sleep. I would have felt sick too. Glad you already got a new laptop---was wondering how long you'd be offline. I am stgill so sorry that happened while you were here. Glad your "good" stuff was well hidden. I'll pray for peace still as you get past yesterdays events. Love you all!

Mandy said...

Hey Katie...I thought about you all day long. So sorry I didn't call - I really wanted to but the day just got away from me. I'm praying for peace of mind as you guys discover things missing and starting replacing things. Call you soon!
Love,
Mandy